Sunday, April 1, 2012

Getting Back into the Habit... Literally.

One week ago, I moved to St. Louis and started a new job. And so far so good.

Work has been really slow, which I am very grateful for. We are still waiting on some actors to turn in their measurements, so we can't get into the full swing of making costumes, but we finally started making costumes this week for the nuns in The Sound of Music (get it, "back in the habit"?). It's been nice being at a more relaxed pace this week. It's been a while since I was sewing. I haven't been in a shop since September, and I wasn't doing much sewing then anyway. So I've been getting back into the routine of working in theatre and I couldn't be happier. Even though the shop has been really quiet this week (and pretty boring at times), the feeling of being in a shop is reassuring and comforting.

Nuns seem to be a reoccurring theme as of late. Not only have I been making habits, I live with nuns. Yes. My new apartment is in a school for deaf children and the nuns that teach here also live here. I knew I would experience new things when I moved to St. Louis, but meeting and living with nuns was the last thing I expected. But I've hardly seen them. School is in session when I am at work so I don't see the children, and the nuns seem to keep to themselves. Until yesterday I only had one other roommate, so it was really quiet and kind of creepy. But I've been okay with the quiet. Getting used to being a full time working girl again, also living on my own and buying my own groceries- it's been kind of nice not having to deal with roommates on top of all that.

I decorated my room. I absolutely LOVE it! I got some really nice curtains at some really good prices and I created my own wall coverings without having to spend a fortune. I really like it, more so because now my room doesn't look like an insane asylum. Before it was more white than I could handle. Now it's bright and welcoming. It's still a small room but I like it.

One week of solitude on my own in a new city has gotten old. Luckily we added a 3rd roommate last night. Very talkative and very social. I still like my quiet time, but I was so excited to have someone to talk to last night. He may very well become my new best friend while I'm here. It's another 2 weeks before anyone else moves in. Eventually there will be almost 20 people living here. And we will all share a kitchen, with the nuns. Luckily it's a huge kitchen, but still.

So far St. Louis has been kind, but I'm looking forward to more exciting adventures while I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment