Monday, December 24, 2012

Atta boy, Clarence!

If someone were to ask me which of all the angels ever written was my favorite, I would say, without a moment of hesitation, Clarence.

A true Christmas movie fanatic would know whom I'm talking about immediately. Clarence, the angel who hasn't earned his wings yet, who's got the innocence of a child and is sent from heaven to help George Bailey.  Clarence's naivety and innocence prove to be a hindrance when trying to help George, who's so low that he is debating the importance and value of his own life. But Clarence saves the day, and George's life. When Clarence shows George Bailey what the world would have been like had he never been born, George learns that life really is wonderful.

I sit here typing this, watching the Christmas classic It's A Wonderful Life, while wrapping the last of the Christmas presents. It's become a bit of a family tradition watching this movie on Christmas Eve. But the message of this movie is something I carry with me all year round. The quote I remember the most isn't even spoken in the movie, but written. It's message that Clarence's writes in his copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and leaves for George after he's earned his wings:
Remember: No man is a failure who has friends.
I think of this all the time because I have some of the best friends in the whole world and they are literally all over the world.  Thanks to you, every single one of you, I am not a failure, and I have a wonderful life because you are in it.

Special thanks to Kristen, Sydney, Annie & Chris, Leslie, Taylor, Jacqueline, Dorothy, Amanda, Delta, Sara & Brad, Amina, Claire & Chris, Kate, Emily, other Emily, Mike, Rodney, Nikki, Mary, Richard, Leah, Kenan, Bob, John, Charles, Kolby, Courtney, Megan, Kat, other Kat, Jesse, Matthew, Jenna, Sean, Drew, my uncs, my bros, my sis, my nephs, nieces and oh how the list goes on. All of you impacted my 2012 for the better and rejoice in calling you all friends.

But most importantly thanks to Beth and Gene Stainback. You're great parents, but you are even better friends. I love you.

Merry Christmas to All!

Oh and for all the angels out there waiting on their wings I give you this!

No comments:

Post a Comment