Saturday, September 7, 2013

My Ole Kentucky Home

As I'm sure everyone has gathered from Facebook, I no longer live in Kentucky. Nope, I've moved on to another state - but that's a another post for another time.

Even though this post comes a few months late, I wanted to write something to acknowledge the time I spent in Kentucky. I'm very grateful for the time I spent there because I learned a lot about myself. I learned that I love to cook and bake. I learned that I hate living alone. I learned that I am actually good at managing a shop and teaching students. I learned that I am a city girl at heart. It wasn't really a secret that I wasn't very happy in Kentucky. No, Kentucky wasn't the place to me. But even so, I can't say anything bad about Kentucky. In fact, now that I've been away for a few months, I'm a bit surprised by how much I miss it. Well, not so much it, as much as the people.

The people of Kentucky are bay far some of the nicest people I have ever met. My students were really great and I loved getting to know them. Now that they are back in classes again, I want to talk to them to hear about their summers and talk about their new classes. I really enjoyed hanging out with them and I liked being someone that many of them felt they could come and talk to. I hope that puns and back-offs live on in the Costume Shop because they were some of my most favorite memories (especially the puns that annoyed Matthew).

Speaking of the boss man, I probably miss him the most. I can say with confidence that I will never have another boss that is as supportive and understanding as Matthew. By working with him every day I learned so much about theatre, design and art. I genuinely think he is the smartest man working in theatre and I am eternally grateful for the opportunities he gave me. It was a comfort to know I had someone looking out for me as a peer and as a friend. I'll never really be able to fully express my gratitude to him. Basically, he's just a really awesome guy. Also, I really miss the white pizza ;).

Even though I miss it a lot these days, I know in my heart I made the best decision for me to leave Kentucky. But no matter how far I go, I will think of my old Kentucky home with fondness.

No comments:

Post a Comment